VNC logining into 'light; window manager- how to get KDE?

Jim hd at jcshome.net
Sun Jan 22 17:32:43 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:

>I finally got the Java tightVNC VNC client running on my FC4 machine.
>When I log in remotly, I am presented with one of the 'light' windows
>manager- I don't know the name of it, it is the lime-green one.
>
>I want it to present me with KDE. Some archive digging led me to the
>command "switchdesk kde" however, when I logged out and back in, I
>still had that lightweight manager. So I dug some more and found that
>I need to modify /etc/sysconfig/desktop. So I changed it to:
>DESKTOP="KDE"
>DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE
>
>But I _still_ get logged into that same manager! How to proceed? Thanks.
>
>Dotan Cohen
>http://technology-sleuth.com/long_answer/what_is_a_firewall.html
>234232

Hello Dotan,

It sounds like your ~/.vnc/xstartup file is over-riding the
configuration. Here is what I have done that fixed the problem for me

Try this to see if it fixes it.

cd ~/.vnc
vi xstartup

The last line says

twm &

Change the last line to be for gnome:

gnome-session &

or for kde

startkde &

Now kill and restart your vncserver and see if it now works the way you
want.

(I think that is the right line for kde, I mainly use gnome myself)

Possibly deleting the .vnc directory and forcing it to start over after
you change the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file may also fix the problem.
I've never done that so will bow to the more knowledgeable people on the
list.  What you could do is mv your old .vnc directory aside for a
minute and try restarting it. If it breaks things, then you could mv the
old .vnc back. YMMV.

Good luck!

Jim