FC4 - How can I have access to my Windows partition from Fedora?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun Jan 22 18:00:54 UTC 2006

Mehmet Fatih AKBULUT wrote:
> hi,
> use :
> #mount -t vfat /dev/hda? /somewhere/
> hda? means your windows partition! [and i assume thats fat32, for ntfs check
> google.]
for NTFS (more often than not the default filesystem for modern windows
OSs):
go to http://rpm.livna.org
download and install the yum setup RPMS provided there
then install the NTFS modules for your kernel:

yum install kernel-module-ntfs-$(uname -r)

after this you will be able to mount an NTFS filesystem with
mount -t ntfs,ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
n.b. reading from NTFS filesystems works well.
Writing to them is *not* a good idea. Write support is not perfect under
linux. (hence the ro in the mount command above)

Regards

Stuart