FC4 - How can I have access to my Windows partition from Fedora?

Hoffmann oasf2004 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 22 20:12:25 UTC 2006

--- Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com> wrote:

> Hoffmann wrote:
>  > When I run: mount -t ntfs,ro /dev/hda1
> /mnt/windows
> >
> > I got the following error: mount: mount point
> > /mnt/windows does not exist
> >
> > Could I hear from you again?
> absolutely.
> I assumed more knowledge in my last post. Apologies.
> besides, that comand was wrong. So don't type it.
> The correct version is further down this post.
> :)
> for most of the rest of this you will need root
> privileges.
>
> 1) to find out which partitions are which, try
> fdisk -l
> you shoud see output a bit like this:
> Disk /dev/hda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks
> Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1        1217     9775521
> b  W95 FAT32
> /dev/hda2            1218        1242      200812+
> 83  Linux
> /dev/hda3            1243        3853    20972857+
> 83  Linux
> /dev/hda4            3854       19457   125339130
> 5  Extended
> /dev/hda5            3854        7769    31455238+
> 83  Linux
>
> there may be more or fewer lines in your output.
> if you are using NTFS for your windows installation,
> the windows line
> will read (something like)
> /dev/hda1   *           1        1217     9775521
> b  HPFS/NTFS
>
> this should tell you that your windows partition is
> /dev/hda1 (if you
> are using SATA disks this may be /dev/sda1)
>
> 2) make sure you have the NTFS drivers installed
> rpm -qa | grep kernel-module-ntfs
>
> if this comes back with an answer a bit like
> kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
> (there may be more/different numbers in your output)
>
> then you do have the necessary drivers
> if you don't, install them as I mentioned in my last
> post.
>
> 3) create a directory to attach (mount) your windows
> filesystem:
> mkdir /mnt/windows
>
> 4) attempt to mount your windows filesystem:
>
> mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
>
> (substitute the correct partition for /dev/hda1)
>
> 5) if you want this automatically done each time you
> boot into FC4
> add a line to /etc/fstab that looks like this
>
> /dev/hda1	/mnt/windows	ntfs	ro	0 0
>
> Regards
>
> Stuart
>
> --

Hi Stuart,

I got it this time. However, when I tried to change
the permition of the /mnt/windows directory, by using
chmod -R g+r /mnt/windows/, nothing happen. I mean I
continue having:

dr-x------   1 root root 16384 Jan 22 12:35 windows

I just would like to change the permition, in order to
be able to read the mounted windows directory from my
home directory (~/hoffmann).

Would you mind, once again, talking to me?

Many thanks!
Hoffmann
ps: In case, I decided to unmount that windows
directory, in order to mount it in another directory
(for instance, /windows, INSTEAD of /mnt/windows),
which command should I use? Is it safe to do that?