Fetchmail socket problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 22 22:51:49 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 22:21 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 22 Jan 2006 21:02, Craig White wrote:
> > um...do you have a pop server running?
> >
> > dovecot?
> >
> Dovecot is configured to serve imap.
----
imap and pop3 are different protocols

# grep pop3 /etc/services
pop3            110/tcp         pop-3           # POP version 3
pop3            110/udp         pop-3
pop3s           995/tcp                         # POP-3 over SSL
pop3s           995/udp                         # POP-3 over SSL

# grep imap /etc/services
imap            143/tcp         imap2           # Interim Mail Access
Proto v2
imap            143/udp         imap2
imap3           220/tcp                         # Interactive Mail
Access
imap3           220/udp                         # Protocol v3
imaps           993/tcp                         # IMAP over SSL
imaps           993/udp                         # IMAP over SSL

non ssl pop3 uses port 110/ non ssl imap uses 143
dovecot would have to be configured to to serve pop3 to connect to port
110
----

> > Is it configured to accept pop3 connections?
>
> You mean locally? It's configured to accept imap connections on the lan,
> but I was still at the stage of testing fetchmail on the command line,
> so I shouldn't have introduced any further complications.
----
fetchmail can't connect to port 110 if the server isn't configured to
provide pop3 connections. perhaps you should tell fetchmail to use imap
instead of pop3
----

> > is it running?
> >
> Yes, it's running, and I can connect.  From this box I can see the
> messages I moved into one of its folders.  (The aim is to copy across
> all mail onto that laptop, so that it can function as server while I
> rebuild the real server).
----
if all you want to do is move it, why not just tar it up and transfer
the tar file?

Craig