Fetchmail socket problem

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 22 23:09:03 UTC 2006

From: "Craig White" <craigwhite at azapple.com>

> On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 18:45 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Sunday 22 Jan 2006 18:17, Craig White wrote:
>> > can you login to that via telnet?
>> >
>> > telnet localhost 124
>> >
>> > . login pop3.mailbox.co.uk:myaccount mypass
>> >
>> > that's a non-standard port and a non standard way of passing an
>> > account login that you are using - would be good to know if you can
>> > login.
>> >
>> Hmm - as soon as I read that I realised that the old server is
>> collecting via PopFile running as a proxy.  I removed the 'port 124'
>> and tried again (presumably that uses the standard pop3 port).
>> Unfortunately, that still gives the same error.
> ----
> and unfortunately, I still have to ask the same question...
>
> can you login via telnet ? (example was given)

I'd say you can't - the way you are doing it.

Use tcpdump to see exactly what your program sends back and forth.
Usually the procedure is something like this:

===8<---
$ telnet localhost pop3
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK dovecot ready.
user XXXXXXXX
+OK
pass XXXXXXXX
+OK Logged in.
list
+OK 1 messages:
1 7437
.
quit
+OK Logging out.
Connection closed by foreign host.
===8<---

Note that this is pop3 not pop3s, imap, or imaps. All are different. (And
IMAP is a bloody pain to work with manually. The secure versions - fergit it.)

{^_^}