Fetchmail socket problem

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 22 23:13:31 UTC 2006

From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: 2006 January, 22, Sunday 12:57
Subject: Re: Fetchmail socket problem

> On Sunday 22 Jan 2006 20:45, Craig White wrote:

>> > Hmm - as soon as I read that I realised that the old server is
>> > collecting via PopFile running as a proxy.  I removed the 'port
>> > 124' and tried again (presumably that uses the standard pop3 port).
>> > Unfortunately, that still gives the same error.
>>
>> ----
>> and unfortunately, I still have to ask the same question...
>>
>> can you login via telnet ? (example was given)
>>
> Sorry, forgot to report back on that.  I think I'm right in using port
> 100?
>
> telnet localhost 110
> Trying 127.0.0.1....
> telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
> telnet: unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused.
>
> I thought maybe it was a firewall issue, but although iptables is
> install the firewall is disabled as the laptop is behind a hardware
> router.

If you are using a bog standard setup then use the "telnet localhost pop3"
command format. Regardless the 110 port is right if you are using a bog
standard setup.

1) Is the pop3 server running?
2) Is it enabled in your security settings for localhost. If it uses
   tcpwrappers, as most do, you need to explicitly enable it for
   localhost in your hosts.allow file. (Read the documentation. You
   will need to know it for other things you will want to do later on.)
3) If it is running and tcpwrappers have localhost enabled then is the
   server's localhost the one you are trying to telnet from? If not you
   need to use that server's name instead of localhost, of course.

{^_^}