Fetchmail socket problem

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Jan 22 23:29:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 15:22 -0800, jdow wrote:
> From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>
>
> > Although the .fetchmailrc that I'm using for testing is a section from a
> > working one on the old server, I'm getting what appears to be socket
> > errors.  I've googled and found lots of similar questions, but no
> > answers.  This is what happens:
> >
> > fetchmail --verbose --keep
> > fetchmail: 6.2.5.5 querying mailbox.co.uk (protocol POP3) at Sun 22 Jan
> > 2006 05:48:12 PM GMT: poll started
> > fetchmail: 6.2.5.5 querying mailbox.co.uk (protocol POP3) at Sun 22 Jan
> > 2006 05:48:12 PM GMT: poll completed
> > fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
> > fetchmail: normal termination, status 2
> >
> > This is the .fetchmail rc for that account:
> >
> > set logfile "~/fetchmail.log"
> >
> > poll mailbox.co.uk
> > proto pop3 port 124
> > via localhost
> > user "pop3.mailbox.co.uk:myaccount"
> > pass "mypass"
> > is anne at mylocal.lan fetchall
> >
> > Nothing is being written to ~/fetchmail.log.
> >
> > I know there is one test email in that mailbox - I've checked it by
> > webmail.
> >
> > Can anyone help, please?
>
> OK, after reading this it is quite obvious you don't understand how
> imap works. Fetchmail is not the right tool for this job, or at least
> it will be a royal pita to use.
>
> There is a solution. Now, I'm doing this from my viewpoint in Outlook
> Express on an XP machine connected to the Linux machine. With OE the
> task is really simple. With other tools YMMV.
>
> What I do is create two accounts in OE. One for each machine. I create
> all the IMAP folders on the second machine that already exist on the
> first machine. Then I highlight all the contents of each folder in order
> and copy them to the corresponding folder on the second machine. With
> enough boring folder pair copies it's done and Bob's your uncle.
>
> (I really SHOULD read back to see the original question sometimes.)
----
that is a really low tech solution that's workable for one mailbox.

imapsync is a terrific tool. copies entire user stuff from one imap
server to another and preserves the IMAP flags. imapsync is simple to
download, compile, install & configure.

If however the server/user id's are the same on both machines, you could
probably just rsync or tar a copy across the 2 computers.

Craig