Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 00:14:13 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Was it a community choice to not
> support any proprietary software (in whatever way you see
> this as support)?  I don't see how this choice helps anyone.

If you don't agree with this project's goals of providing only open
source software, then perhaps this isn't the project for you.

Or let me ask it another way, can the fedora project create virtual
images for vmplayer without using proprietary vmware to produce the
images?  Would it be appropriate for fedora to use proprietary
compilers and other infrastructure pieces to produce the binary
packages that make up the distribution?

If people in the community want to spend money on vmware products to
produce vmplayer images for other people in the community who want to
spend money on vmware products to play vmplayer images.. they are free
to do so.  But as a contributing member of this open source project, I
feel its highly inappropriate for this project to be producing content
that requires proprietary tools to either produce or consume.  And i
will passionately argue against you and anyone else with words both
small and polysyllabic who would desire to see this project formally
produce or encourage the production of content that requires
proprietary tools.  If you'd like me to tell you how strongly i feel
about this, I invite you to come into the #fedora channel on irc so
you can I can have a nice little private chat without disturbing
anyone else who might be offended by the words i choose to describe
your opinions on the matter.

-jef