Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 01:55:47 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 18:36, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >I wasn't able to find any when I tried a couple of days ago.  Sure,
> >anyone can do this, but wouldn't it be a good idea for someone
> >who cared about promoting the project to make sure it actually
> >works and is kept up to date.  In fact if such a person had
> >done it with FC5 test1 he would have noticed that it didn't
> >work right and might have been able to get it fixed before the
> >iso image release.
> >

> So see someone would have to not only include it but also test and
> support it.

No, as a side effect of this install the Fedora distribution
would be tested, and if anyone cared it could be fixed before
releasing the broken iso images.  If I didn't make that clear,
the FC5 test1 isos were broken in the video handling, not vmware
player and that's that needs the support. I'd guess that the same
breakage applied to real hardware in the same way as the vmware
emulation and it has been fixed in updates. I'm not surprised at
a test release having such breakage, of course, but I hope we agree
that it would have been in everyone's interest if it had been
noticed and fixed before anyone downloaded those isos.  It's
not a matter of having to do extra support since this had to
be fixed anyway - it's a matter of how many people see and are
inconvenienced by the broken version and form their opinions
based on it.

> This is something that the project does not want to invest
> resources in because it isnt against the goals of the project and also
> because we prioritize and spend time on innovative open source
> development.

If making a product easy to test and install isn't a
priority, I'm afraid the project may become irrelevant.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com