How To Force Yum To Update

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 23 02:24:45 UTC 2006

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

>On 1/22/06, jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>From: "Robert L Cochran" <cochranb at speakeasy.net>
>>

>>>Yesterday I attempted to service my mother-in-law's FC4 computer, which
>>>I know needs about 100 Mb or so worth of updates -- most of that for
>>>OpenOffice. I only have a short window of opportunity to do this since
>>>she lives a fair distance. Each time I ran 'yum update' I would get
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>Reading repository metadata in from local files
>>>primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 969 kB    00:34
>>>extras    : ################################################## 2815/2815
>>>Added 15 new packages, deleted 12 old in 3.45 seconds
>>>No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
>>>

>I don't see the fedora-updates repository in there.  She's not getting
>updates because her machine isn't configured to install them.
>
>Create a file in /etc/yum.repos.d called fedora-updates that contains
>the following:
>
>[updates-released]
>name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
>#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
>mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
>enabled=1
>gpgcheck=1
>gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
>
>Then re-run 'yum update'.

Thanks for your help. It looks like I'm causing confusion, all because I
showed an example with a lot of the 'yum update' output snipped away so
I could zero in on the issue of interest. The output shown is actually
from my own machine, not from the machine I want to update.
fedora-updates.repo is installed by default when you install fedora-release:

[rlc at bobcp4 ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
fedora-release-4-2

 and I didn't edit the default installation on the target machine in any
way.

Please note that the above rpm output is an example provided from my own
machine.

Thanks

Bob