Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 03:27:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 20:31, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >I disagree.  A virtual machine is no more proprietary than a
> >physical machine.  Do we have any complaints about running
> >under any particular physical machine?
> >
> A physical machine might not require proprietary drivers or software to
> support it. A proprietary vm image requires a proprietary software to
> support it. See the difference now?

No, not as long as you can backup/restore a working system between
them.  Hmmm, maybe the way to resolve the conceptual difference
would be for a 'fedora expert' to provide a tar image of what
they would like a new user to experience, and let someone
else drop that into a runnable vmware image. (See the 'no
difference' now?)  The expertise of the installer/maintainer
is what I'd really like to have made available to the end user.
The vmplayer platform is just a handy mechanism that is
going to be used whether anyone likes it or not.  The only
question is how well it will be done.

> > VMware images will almost certainly be
> >made.  Let's assume they'll be done badly and not maintained.

> Why do you assume that. Check http://fedorareloaded.com. Let me know
> what is done badly?

That was just for argument to make the point that someone who
has a reason to care about fedora should maintain them. By badly
I mostly meant that they may be allowed to get out of date. At
this point that image can't be more than a few days out of date.
If it stays the same after the next iso release I'd consider
that bad.

> >Would, for example, the FC5 test1 install with video that
> >is partly doubled and out-of-sync looking be a good thing
> >for new users to find as their first test drive?
> >
> Considering that its a first test release of a rapidly developed system
> I consider that acceptable. Can you kindly let me know the bug report
> number of this video issue so that I can check its not still present in
> the second test release and several updates after that?

It's fixed already in the updates.  I did a text-mode 'yum update xorg*'
and that came up working.  But then when I could see
what I was doing and yum offered to update just about everything
else it seemed like it would be easier to start over, and
much easier if an image was available instead of starting from
new isos.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com