Bios flashing w/fed4_64

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jan 23 05:23:29 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 15:22:39 +0200,
  Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 08:01 -0500, George Hare wrote:
> > Has anyone done any bios flashing using Fedora? My boot screen goes by
> > so fast I can't read it; it looks like Alt-F2. Does it actually need
> > it. Everything seems to be working just fine as is. It's an Abit KV8
> > Pro.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > G. Hare
> >

> I doubt it. I've yet to see a Linux flash utility. (Being tied to a
> certain BIOS/MB combo, I doubt that we will ever see one)
> Most flash utilities either use DOS (99%) or both Windows and DOS (~1%).

While not a motherboard, there is a linux third party flash tool for NEC DVD
drives.
This was nice since the latest firmware for the drive from the manufacturer
required windows xp to run their flash tool (and didn't work with their
earlier dos based tools). This will weigh heavily in favor of getting a
NEC drive when I buy another DVD burner.