Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 05:19:08 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 21:35, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Can you or can you not use the VMware image without VMWare player? . If
> it cannot be used with a proprietary application then the vmware image
> is proprietary.

I thought I had seen something about the disk image being the
same as those for qemu but was never motivated enough to
find out what that means.

> It might be available for gratis or you might able to
> backup or redistribute it even but as long as the content in the image
> is unusable without a proprietary application it is definitely a
> proprietary piece of software.

Is a tar image proprietary because you have to load it
back on proprietary hardware before it runs again?  I'd
expect a tar<->vmware file converter to be possible and
don't see a lot of difference in principle.

>  Thats the best I can explain it. I am not
> sure anybody here is going to support your argument that somehow VMWare
> images are non proprietary.  I will drop this discussion here since I
> dont have anything further to explain on this particular issue. Thanks

As long as someone else does a good job of maintaining the
images it doesn't really matter.  If they don't, perhaps
we could skirt the notion that copying onto a certain
file format somehow makes the content proprietary by
having a person with fedora expertise supply a kickstart
file and a script of yum commands to build and maintain
something that would give a desirable first impression
of the current state of the project.  Someone who isn't
offended by free-as-in-gratis can do the rest without
knowing what the ideal fedora setup of the day looks like
or how to build it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com