Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jan 23 05:38:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 17:39 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 15:28, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > >The free availability of the VMware vmplayer really changes
> > >the picture for test-drive releases.  I'd say the single most
> > >dramatic thing that could be done now for new-user, new-version
> > >rollout would be to maintain up to date virtual machine images
> > >for full and minimal installations and promote them on
> > >the main download site.
> > >
> > It could be but it isnt within the project scope to support any
> > proprietary software.
>
> Please explain how making an image available that runs under
> the free vmplayer 'supports' proprietary software any more
> than making an iso image available 'supports' CD and
> media manufacturers.   And more to the point, how does
> this relate to being community oriented, which I thought
> was the topic at hand?   Was it a community choice to not
> support any proprietary software (in whatever way you see
> this as support)?  I don't see how this choice helps anyone.

IANAL, and have not followed this entire thread.

IMHO, posting links to a proprietary software package (vmplayer) and
recommending it be used amounts to advertising and is most certainly
support of that software.

As an outsider, I would certainly perceive that action as supporting and
promoting the software.