Fetchmail socket problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 08:39:52 UTC 2006

On Sunday 22 Jan 2006 23:22, jdow wrote:

> OK, after reading this it is quite obvious you don't understand how
> imap works. Fetchmail is not the right tool for this job, or at least
> it will be a royal pita to use.
>
> There is a solution. Now, I'm doing this from my viewpoint in Outlook
> Express on an XP machine connected to the Linux machine. With OE the
> task is really simple. With other tools YMMV.

That's exactly what I have done on this box, which is the  one I mainly
read from.

> What I do is create two accounts in OE. One for each machine. I
> create all the IMAP folders on the second machine that already exist
> on the first machine. Then I highlight all the contents of each
> folder in order and copy them to the corresponding folder on the
> second machine. With enough boring folder pair copies it's done and
> Bob's your uncle.

Yes, I copied the messages from one folder across in exactly that way.
It works and I can read them both from the second account on this box
and from the temporary server, so I'm happy that dovecot is working.

> (I really SHOULD read back to see the original question sometimes.)

My problem now is that I'm not able to pull mail in from my isp.  I
don't run my own mailserver, only imap for the lan.

Anne