Fetchmail socket problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 12:42:30 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 Jan 2006 11:02, jdow wrote:

> OK, is your ISP working via pop3 or via imap for your mail?

Pop3

> For pop3 harken back to a prior rock of mine to see what a typical
> session would look like. In my case for Earthlink it'd be something
> a little different:
> ===8<---
> $ telnet pop.earthlink.net pop3
> Trying 209.86.93.201...
> Connected to pop.earthlink.net (209.86.93.201).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> +OK NGPopper vEL_6_10 at earthlink.net ready
> <17601.1138013724 at pop-sarus.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
> user XXXXXXXXXXXX
> +OK
> pass XXXXXXXXXXXX
> +OK XXXXXXXXXX has 0 messages (0 octets).
> quit
> +OK
> Connection closed by foreign host.

OK - with that example to help I managed to log in and got the message
that there are 2 messages in the mailbox.

> ===8<---
> The .fetchmailrc in my own directory looks like this at the moment:
> ===8<--defaults mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d jdow"
> #set postmaster "jdow"
> set syslog
> set postmaster ""
> set no bouncemail
> set no spambounce
> set properties ""
> #set daemon 60
> #set logfile fetchmail_el.log
> poll smtp.earthlink.net with proto POP3
>    user 'XXXXXXXX' there with password 'XXXXXXXX'
>    is 'xxxx at xxxx.xxx.xxx' here options pass8bits
>    smtpaddress '      '
> poll smtp.earthlink.net with proto POP3
>    user 'YYYYYYYY' there with password 'YYYYYYYY'
>    is 'xxxx at xxxx.xxx.xxx' here options pass8bits
>    smtpaddress '      '
> ===8<---
> I start the fetchmail as my own user account, XXXXXXXX, with this
> command: /usr/bin/fetchmail -d 90 --fetchmailrc
> /home/XXXXXXXX/.fetchmailrc
>
> Fill in the same information you used to use for the username and
> password. Some ISPs may want you to use xxx at my_silly_isp.net type
> format for the username. Then you need the password. Sadly, fetchmail
> does not store this encrypted.

For some reason it seems to need an entirely different format than on
the old server, but with your example as a starting point and error
messages to assis, I've managed to connect and download the two
messages.  Now I have to work out why kmail is not seeing them.

> (I'm heading off to bed now. So I won't be able to follow up for
> "several hours".)
Sleep well.

Anne