FC4 - TCP wrappers syslog not working?

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Jan 23 12:44:31 UTC 2006

Hello,

In my /etc/hosts.allow file I have the entry:

   sshd : 141.163. : severity daemon.warning : ALLOW

In the /etc/syslog.conf file I have the entry:

   daemon.notice       /var/log/daemon

However, when I access sshd from somewhere in 141.163 nothing gets
logged to /var/log/daemon. I have a similar entry for the Exim MTA, and
again nothing gets logged.

If I change the above ALLOW to a DENY then I get rejected by sshd and an
entry gets logged in the file. If I remove the ALLOW entry completely
and put the DENY in the /etc/hosts.deny file then I get the rejected
attempts logged. If I move the ALLOW entry into the hosts.deny file then
still nothing gets logged. It seems that 'denies' get logged but 'allow'
conditions do not.

Anyone any ideas about this? I've noticed the same behaviour under
RHEL4.

Thanks,

John.