Extract, but not install rpm

J. K. Cliburn jcliburn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:11:19 UTC 2006

On 1/23/06, J. K. Cliburn <jcliburn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to extract the contents of an rpm file (to, say, a temp
> directory) without actually installing it?  I'd like to look at the
> source code of a particular module driver that's bound up in the rpm,
> but I don't want to install the kernel source -- probably wouldn't
> work anyway since I'm working from a cygwin host right now.

For the benefit of those who might hit upon this thread while
searching, the answer to my question was thus.

# rpm2cpio kernel-2.6.15-1.1824_FC4.src.rpm > kernel.cpio
# cpio -iv < kernel.cpio
# bunzip2 linux-2.6.15.tar.bz2
# tar -xvf linux-2.6.15.tar

This was exactly what I wanted.  Thanks again Rex.