Bios flashing w/fed4_64

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 23 17:14:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 11:17 -0500, George Hare wrote:
> >Has anyone done any bios flashing using Fedora? My boot screen goes by
> >so fast I can't read it; it looks like Alt-F2. Does it actually need
> >it? Everything seems to be working just fine as is. It's an Abit KV8
> >Pro.
> >Thanks,
>
> Thanks for all the replies, but no one answered "Does it actually need
> it?" If it does, how can I do it, I only have Fed4 64 installed? Sorry
> for the trouble, but this is all new to me and I have learned a great
> deal reading this forum; You guys are very helpful.
> I would also like to know why bios's need to be flashed. I have 2
> Win98 cd's, is there a way to extract the flashing utility withou
> installing it? Sorry for such a newbie post, I just want to learn.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> George

George,

The BIOS flashing utilities are almost always DOS or Windows based and
are motherboard dependent.

Typically, you will need a bootable DOS floppy or CD with the flashing
utility installed along with everything needed to boot DOS.  I usually
make a bootable DOS CD using syslinux and one of the DOS images found on
the web.  Then boot the CD and run the flashing utility from the DOS
prompt.

BIOS updates are usually needed to implement new features, like ACPI,
hyperthreading or larger disks.  Or, to fix bugs in the previous
versions of the BIOS.  It would be nice if the BIOS manufacturers built
the flashing utility into the BIOS itself, but there are space
limitations and no everyone has the same complement of storage devices,
such as a floppy.

As I understand it, Linux uses info from the BIOS for initialization,
thus the need for the occasional update.

Bob...