Old /boot, Grub, FC3

Nick Geovanis <n-geovanis@northwestern.edu> nickgeo at merle.it.northwestern.edu
Mon Jan 23 17:53:19 UTC 2006

I can't yet tell if this is a Grub issue or FC3 or something else; don't
think I've had this difficulty before:

Have an HP Pavilion 6630 (old, 500MHz), it has a two-channel IDE
controller. FC3 is already installed on channel A, which it calls ide0,
with a WD drive as master and an older Samsung CD drive as slave. IDE
channel B is empty. I want some extra disk space, so I put a former FC3
boot/root/installation drive on channel B to build new filesystems;
nothing on it I want to save. Rebooting the machine, Grub chokes when it
finds the old partition labelled /boot on the newly-installed drive cabled
to channel B. The logs show that FC3 booted and configured both IDE
channels as ide0 and ide1, and found all three drives, but then it got
confused and tried to mount non-existent partitions, ended-up losing /usr,
etc. It manages to bring-up a login prompt and I can login as root but
loads of important stuff isn't mounted, etc. Brain damage.

The BIOS boot order hasn't changed. Do I need to make sure that the
newly-installed drive doesn't have an old MBR? Or is there a Grub
parameter that circumvents this? Thanks.

* Nick Geovanis