Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:29:17 UTC 2006

On 1/23/06, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 09:45, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>
> > > One wouldn't have to mirror all releases of course. Say the original
> > > FC4 and the latest respin.
> >
> > I'm not going to get into how much content the mirrors are willing to
> > mirror... I simply don't know what is appropriate here.
>
> I'm curious as to why the mirror issue might be a factor for fedora
> if they don't have a problem with respins of RedHat releases.

The good folks at Red Hat don't have a problem with Debian, they don't
have a problem with Mandriva, they don't have a problem with FreeBSD,
NetBSD, or OpenBSD.  I'm pretty sure they privately have a problem
with CentOS and WBEL, but they'll never tell.  Despite all these
"non-problems" they're not hosting downloads of any of this software.
I wonder why that is.  Could it be because they're not Fedora or Red
Hat projects?

Not having a problem with someone else doing something doesn't mean
you're throwing open the gates to hosting their project on your own
servers.  Mirrior maintainers signed up to host Fedora Core and
possibly Fedora Extras (and associated updates).  They didn't sign up
to host someone else's remade ISOs.  Now, if they choose to do so,
that's their own lookout, they're under no obligation to whatsoever.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."