Fetchmail socket problem

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 23 19:06:07 UTC 2006

From: "Anne Wilson" <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk>

> On Monday 23 Jan 2006 11:02, jdow wrote:
>> Fill in the same information you used to use for the username and
>> password. Some ISPs may want you to use xxx at my_silly_isp.net type
>> format for the username. Then you need the password. Sadly, fetchmail
>> does not store this encrypted.
>>
> For some reason it seems to need an entirely different format than on
> the old server, but with your example as a starting point and error
> messages to assis, I've managed to connect and download the two
> messages.  Now I have to work out why kmail is not seeing them.

It may be as simple as telling kmail to get NEW mail from the spool
directory, /var/spool/mail/xxx. Or it may involve telling Dovecot
to use the spool directories for incoming and the user home directory
"mail" directory for storing the mail folders for imap. That chunk
of documentation is not particularly trying. I managed to solve it.
I think it involved a one liner:
MAIL=/home/xxx/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/xxx

{^_-}

>> (I'm heading off to bed now. So I won't be able to follow up for
>> "several hours".)
> Sleep well.

Well, sorta. Winds are pushing 70 MPH gusts here. Loren and I are going
to have to play chainsaw games to get out of the driveway. There seems to
be a foot and a half diameter "branch" across it. The wind woke me up and
I couldn't get back to sleep. Ah well, another night.

{^_-}   The Chainsaw Babe (Well, I let Loren do that. I just try to
        push 'em out of the way. But it does sound good.)