Fedora Core 3 Transferred to Fedora Legacy

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 23 20:16:51 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> HI
>
>> This is total double talk. If Fedora Core is not a testing ground for
>> RHEL features why exactly does it exist? What you are saying makes no
>> sense at all.
>>

> Mission to provide a  community oriented completely Free and open source
> operating system.

This answer is perhaps not incorrect, but is at least incomplete,
by comparison to what you stated in your long missive. AIUI, there
are four (at least) reasons Red Hat is contributing to Fedora...

(1) community good will
(2) good will among a possible customer base for RHEL
(3) "free" contributions to testing, defect finding, and defect repair
(4) building a base of people who are accustomed to using the
     Red Hat formula for install/maintenance etc, i.e. "brand
     recognition and familiarity"

So, not all motives are altruistic. That's ok. And I also
don't understand why anyone would complain about handing over
Fedora Core to a non-profit organization. AFAICT, there is
N-O-T-H-I-N-G which obligates Red Hat to continue Fedora Core
support at all. From the moment I first investigated it, I
considered it to be a free-will kind of thing, which could stop
at any moment, for any or even no reason. This change, if
and when it takes place (or even if it already has) will not
be any problem for me, philosophically, economically, or
otherwise.

And I wish people would quit beating up Rahul, who has so
far been very polite and soft-spoken.

I am put in mind of the parable of "The Man Who Gave Too Much".
Once upon a time, a man of some economic means began sending
Christmas Cards to his relatives, each of them containing a
$100 bill inside it. He continued this way for ten years,
each year sending his relatives $100 in this manner. After this
time, he decided that the card was enough to express his
feelings, and the next year he sent only a card. To his
amazement, all his relatives were angry, demanding to know
where was "their" $100.

In this case, the $100 hasn't even been withheld, only the
possibility that the $100 would come from someone else,
who might not be able to send the entire amount.

My $.02.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.