Old /boot, Grub, FC3

Nick Geovanis <n-geovanis@northwestern.edu> nickgeo at merle.it.northwestern.edu
Mon Jan 23 20:21:49 UTC 2006

> Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:55:57 -0600
> From: "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
> Subject: Re: Old /boot, Grub, FC3
>
> Nick Geovanis <n-geovanis at northwestern.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Have an HP Pavilion 6630 (old, 500MHz), it has a two-channel IDE
> > controller. FC3 is already installed on channel A, which it calls ide0,
> > with a WD drive as master and an older Samsung CD drive as slave. IDE
> > channel B is empty. I want some extra disk space, so I put a former FC3
> > boot/root/installation drive on channel B to build new filesystems;
> > nothing on it I want to save. Rebooting the machine, Grub chokes when it
> > finds the old partition labelled /boot on the newly-installed drive cabled
> > to channel B. The logs show that FC3 booted and configured both IDE
> > channels as ide0 and ide1, and found all three drives, but then it got
> > confused and tried to mount non-existent partitions, ended-up losing /usr,
> >
> A couple of points here. First of all, it is not Grub that is having
> the problem. All Grub does is load the kernel, and the initial RAM
> disk. After that, the kernel takes over, and mounts the root file

But it may be that the "wrong" kernel was booted, namely the one on the
older but newly installed drive on ide1/channel B. It had once been a
full boot/root/user-flesystems drive for FC3. Understand that the BIOS
setup screens on this motherboard do not permit one to distinguish between
multiple, internal IDE disk-drives. You can choose USB boot, CDROM boot,
removable media boot, "internal hard-drive" boot; but you can't make a
choice from among the latter.

> Now, you can not directly tell the system to ignore the file systems
> on the new drive without disabling the drive all together.

Disagree. I made no new entries in /etc/fstab to mount the second,
newly-installed drive's partitions. Therefore they should have been
ignored. So it seems that there are only two possibilites: (1) The
correct drive was booted (channel A/ide0 master) but the wrong
partitions were found at mount time; or (2) The incorrect drive was
booted (channel B/ide1 master) and, again, the wrong partitions were
selected for mounting.

Or is it possible that Grub (or the BIOS?) only want one IDE master over
the whole dual-channel IDE controller? My understanding was that each
channel needed its own master, and I've never had a problem before with
DOS, Windo$e or linux in that situation.

> Mikkel

* Nick Geovanis