How to recover an executable?

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 24 02:52:52 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 23 Jan 2006 21:02, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip discussion of backup creation]

If you really haven't put the machine to work yet, perhaps
simply reinstalling would be best. Anyway...

>>I use compression, which is somewhat risky, but it makes
>>my entire backup fit onto a single CDROM.
>>

> I've often wondered - what sort of compression ration do you expect?  Do
> you reckon you can get 8, 10 or 12 GB onto 1 DVD?  I say this because
> one of my interests is in video processing, and they produce
> notoriously large files.  Come to think of it, they are probably
> already compressed, so not much would be saved on them.

All current video methods use compression, specially tailored to
video.

>>If this is not adequate for you, then I suggest you
>>investigate http://www.bluehaze.com.au/unix/cdbkup.html
>>

> Thanks for the link.  That, too, I will follow up in the morning.

Welcome for the script, and welcome for the link. That web page
also has other links on it, which are worthy of perusal.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.