Confused (eth0)

Reg Clemens reg at dwf.com
Tue Jan 24 03:18:01 UTC 2006

OK, Im confused.

I have an OLD 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp kernel which boots just fine,
the /etc/modprobe.conf file has the line
    alias eth0              sk98lin
and ethernet comes up just fine.

I have a couple of other kernels which have been downloaded from
RPMS.updates, and they DONT bring up the eth0.  Rather than trying
to figure out what was wrong with them, I just built a 2.6.15.1
kernel, and sure enough I get the same error message, viz

Bringing up interface eth0: sk98lin device eth0 does not seem to be present, ..

Whats going on here?
same modprobe.conf, and the sk98lin.ko file is there in /lib/modules/ for the
new kernel.  The /proc/modules shows the sk98lin module to be loaded.

For reference, this IS a D945Gnt motherboard, which does have onboard
ethernet, but I have yet to get Linux to notice either the ethernet or
the onboard soundcard.

Any suggestions appreciated.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens