Confused (eth0)

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 24 07:43:13 UTC 2006

Reg Clemens wrote:
> OK, Im confused.
>
> I have an OLD 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp kernel which boots just fine,
> the /etc/modprobe.conf file has the line
>     alias eth0              sk98lin
> and ethernet comes up just fine.
>
> I have a couple of other kernels which have been downloaded from
> RPMS.updates, and they DONT bring up the eth0.  Rather than trying
> to figure out what was wrong with them, I just built a 2.6.15.1
> kernel, and sure enough I get the same error message, viz
>
> Bringing up interface eth0: sk98lin device eth0 does not seem to be present, ..
>
> Whats going on here?
> same modprobe.conf, and the sk98lin.ko file is there in /lib/modules/ for the
> new kernel.  The /proc/modules shows the sk98lin module to be loaded.
>
> For reference, this IS a D945Gnt motherboard, which does have onboard
> ethernet, but I have yet to get Linux to notice either the ethernet or
> the onboard soundcard.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.

I would firstly suggest you get vanilla kernel updates the exact way the
other on this list do - up2date or yum. There should be no need to mess
around like you are.

Now, the D945GNT smells like a genuine Intel board. In my experience,
they only EVER have ether express chips built into them. I've never used
a sk98lin module ever on an Intel board, it's always the e100 module or
similar.

Could you please run lspci and confirm the LAN chip you have on the board.

Regards,
Ed.