Old /boot, Grub, FC3

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 24 06:09:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 11:53 -0600, Nick Geovanis  wrote:
> Grub chokes when it finds the old partition labelled /boot on the
> newly-installed drive cabled to channel B.

Manually edit your GRUB file, change the label part on the kernel line
to an appropriate /dev/hda1 (may not be 1) device name for your boot
partition.  Also whack a 1 onto the end of the kernel line, so you boot
up in single mode (less things start that way).  You can do this from
the boot menu as a temporary change.

Once it's started, either edit your /etc/fstab line to make fstab use
devices rather than labels, or use e2label to relabel things on your new
extra disk, or fdisk your new disk to remove any partitions with
conflicting labels from i.  Then you can telinit 3 (text) or telnet 5
(GUI) to continue on into a full/normal boot without having to reboot.

I read messages from the public lists.