Fedora 4 installation via floppy

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 24 22:17:42 UTC 2006

Josh Coffman wrote:

> Just cause I didn't see anyone else say it... Any
> chance of installing a cdrom or plugging in a zip
> drive through the parrallel port?

I don't know of a machine which can boot off of a
parallel port, even using SBM, though it seems to
be planned. The web page says

> SBM now supports booting from floppy, harddisk and CD-ROM. ZIP and
 > LS-120 are planned to be supported recently.

(I suppose he means "soon" rather than "recently".)

> But if you have to, good to know you actually can
> install from a floppy.

First thing I did to my machine after I bought it was put
a floppy disc in it. I can't imagine why machines come without
them now. I find that the best way to transfer files between
machines is often sneakernet (put on a floppy, and use the
old sneakers to carry it to the other machine), especially
when they use different OS or are some distance apart.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.