Perl packages

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Tue Jan 24 23:18:27 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 23:02 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I want to install popfile.  I got to the final stages of the install
> when I have to run a perl script to initialise it.  This is what
> happened:
>
> perl $POPFILE_ROOT/popfile.pl
> ERROR: POPFile needs Perl module Date::Format, please install it.
> ERROR: POPFile needs Perl module Date::Parse, please install it.
> ERROR: POPFile needs Perl module HTML::Template, please install it.

Perl has a large community of programmers that have written thousands of
useful modules to simplify common tasks. The quintessential repository
of these modules is CPAN (www.cpan.org). It would be impossible to
distribute Perl with all of of these modules. So, if you need to use
them you need to add them to your system. The easiest way to do this is
to actually use one of these modules: CPAN.

Example:

# perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install Date::Format
<you will see it install>
cpan> quit
#

The first time you run the utility it will ask you a bunch of questions
to get it setup. I can't remember what all of the questions are but I
think they were easy to answer. I think most of them the default was
fine. I also remember wanting to do an install Bundle::CPAN first to get
the latest release of the module along with all of the modules it likes
to use.

Give it a try and ask questions if you hit any snags.