Respins

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jan 25 00:02:26 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>

>> Whenever the issue has come up, I've always tried to point
>> out the k12ltsp versions that not only included updates
>> in the respins but add a lot of value with extra programs
>> and one-click links to install some that can't be included.
>> Have you been in touch with Eric Harrison who builds this
>> version?  He seems to have a very different opinion about
>> the difficulty vs. value of building respins whenever someone
>> reports a problem.
>
> No I havent talked to the k12ltsp people yet though I have discussed
> this otherwise with some Fedora people. Open to the idea.

respins, that has to be viewed in context. The K12LTSP problem set is
different than the Fedora problem set, as such it is a apples-to-oranges
comparison.

I'd love to see official re-spun FC isos, but I certainly understand the
issues and work involved.

>> You'd be doing everyone a favor if you
>> could arrange to mirror his rebuild on the official fedora
>> site with a big link that says 'Hey - this version is better
>> for a lot of reasons'.  This is work that is already done
>> and it is just a matter of embracing it.  As it stands, I
>> don't think people 'get it' that the k12ltsp version really
>> is a stock updated fedora plus a few add-ons that don't have to
>> be installed.
>>

> Sure. We could do that.  You seem to be in touch with the relevant
> people. Can you request them to contact me? . I will see what can be done.

As Les notes, K12LTSP is a stock updated fedora plus a few add-ons
(almost all Fedora Extras packages these days). Not only does it carry
the extra QA baggage of a respin, but it is not a 100% "pure" respin. As
such, I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to recognize K12LTSP as a
re-spun Fedora Core.

This also runs contrary to my goals, which is to get out of the
"distribution" business. I'd prefer to work on eliminating the need for
K12LTSP to exist[1] rather than expand it ;-)

-Eric

[1] I've been working with LTSP & Ubuntu on over-coming the packaging
issues with LTSP. The first crack at this is now in Edubuntu & Debian
unstable. I'm planning on porting these packages to FC5, if all goes
well maybe they'll make it into Extras...