Can I delete *FC3* files from my FC4 system?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Jan 25 01:28:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 04:44:04PM -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> On 1/24/06, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> > Any of those may work *too* well. Be sure to eyeball the list of
> > proposed deletions.
> >
> > On the other tentacle, some packages have "fc3", others "FC3", and I
> > don't know if yum or rpm is case sensitive. On yet another tentacle,
> > this does not handle the case of duplicate RPMs that do not have the
> > Fedora version in the file name.
> Woa! Listen to this! I now tried (per your input) lowercase fc3. And
> what a list I got!
> I need the eyeballs of many here before I hit 'y' on yum. (This
> machine is now primarily a databse server, and I dont mind the
> cleanup. But the FC4 (thats a 4) dependencies worry me. Here goes:
> --> Running transaction check
>
> Dependencies Resolved

>  Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
> Removing:
>  iptstate                i386       1.4-1.1.fc3.rf   installed          50 k
>  nmap                    i386       2:3.93-0.1.fc3.rf  installed         2.6 M

I've seen this before. In many cases, there is an FC3 package and a
near-duplicate FC4 package of the same name and different version
number. Either should satisfy FC4 dependencies. Try:

rpm -qa | sort > foo

then go through foo checking for such near duplicates. You should be
able to remove the FC3 versions painlessly, if tediously.

Or take the list above and check each entry manually, e.g.

rpm -qa | grep -i ipstage

In some cases, you may have to forcibly remove the fc3 package (rpm -e
--force), then install the fc4 equivalent. Since some of the
dependencies are Gnome packages, you might prefer to do this at the
console without X ("init 3").