FC4 RPMs for RadioShark control program

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Wed Jan 25 06:35:50 UTC 2006

Michael Rolig wrote a command-line utility to control the Griffin
RadioShark USB radio, which is AFAIK the only USB radio that transfers
the audio data over the USB rather than needing a separate analog
connection to a sound card.  His "shark" program is in the public
domain.

Shark depends on an unreleased version of libhid to write to the
HID interrupt endpoint of the RadioShark.  I had trouble building
this, as have others, so I've built i386 and x86_64 RPMs for FC4
and made them available:

    http://www.brouhaha.com/~eric/software/fedora/fc4/shark/

The RPMs include the libhid source code, which is subject to the
GPL.  The process of building the RPMs builds a statically linked
libhid based on a Subversion snapshot.

The x86_64 RPM seems to work for me.  I have not tested the i386
RPM.  The "shark" program only controls the LEDs, tuning, and such.
The audio has to be handled by ALSA.  There's an explanation of
how I use it from the command line in my blog entry:

    http://whats.all.this.brouhaha.com/?p=199

As usual, there is no warranty whatsoever, but comments and suggestions
are welcome.

Eric