recognizing an external hard drive in FC4

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 25 13:50:08 UTC 2006

Tim:
>> I did find out that it'd use a FAT volume label if there was one, but
>> I couldn't find a way of setting one in Linux.  I had to put the USB
>> flashdrive into a Windows box to name it.

James Wilkinson:
> Does
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-November/msg05581.html
> help?

Aha!  This (from that link) looks useful information:

    You can use mlabel from the mtools package (yum install
    mtools) but that requires you to assign a drive letter
    (e.g. 'drive f: file="/dev/sda1"' in /etc/mtools.conf)"

I had tried something on Linux that looked like it'd let me set labels,
but couldn't figure out how you gave it the drive letter it wanted.
I'll have a bash at this later on.

I read messages from the public lists.