Perl packages

Chasecreek Systemhouse chasecreek.systemhouse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:43:14 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Peter Gordon <admin at ramshacklestudios.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 05:25 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > BTW: I strongly advise you not to use CPAN to install Perl distributions
> > on Fedora systems. It is the sure way to corrupt a Fedora Perl
> > installation.
> This is why cpan2rpm is very useful at times. =)

It's not the use of cpan itself that is the problem -- it's the
packages on cpan.

The long term issue with using CPAN (which is great when it works) is
that the dependencies on the cpan mirrors likely no longer match that
which is installed in FC and therefore may like generate a series of
cascading failures.  This can be seen when trying to handle mod_perl
installations and upgrades.

Unless you wish to rebuild *everything* related to Apache/mod_perl et
al, it is best to just use those rpms off normal FC rpm sites and
related "extras" mirrors.

Bill =)
--
WC -Sx- Jones | http://ccsh.us/ | Open Source Consulting