isdn asu|2002 isdn ta

Tony Dietrich td at transoft-adsl.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 25 22:40:55 UTC 2006

Azeem

(Note to list: someone shoot me if I'm remembering this wrong, its years since
I worked with ISDN)
128kps is the dual channel speed for ISDN.

each ISDN channel is capable of 64kps.

You need two separate ISDN cards  and the software to aggregate the two
channels together in order to take advantage of both channels.  And of
course, you need two connections to the ISP.

Frankly, the biggest speed advantage of ISDN over an analogue modem is the
fact that the connection is digital.  Its not just that you can get 64kps out
of a single channel, but that 64kps is very near to the real throughput for
the connection, whereas a large percentage of an analogue modem's throughput
is occupied with error correction.

The best average I ever got with an analogue modem was around 33kps (including
error connection) or around 22kps of data, whereas you can expect 60-62kps of
actual data over a single ISDN channel.

TD