(no subject)

Bruce Hyatt bjhyatt at myway.com
Thu Jan 26 00:09:31 UTC 2006

 --- On Wed 01/25, jludwig < wralphie at comcast.net > wrote:
From: jludwig [mailto: wralphie at comcast.net]
To: bjhyatt at myway.com, fedora-list at redhat.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 18:41:40 -0500
Subject: Re: (no subject)

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 18:22, Bruce Hyatt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get connected to the internet through Comcast highspeed and
> I'm having some trouble.
>
> I think the problem is that the ethernet card is assigned IRQ 15 but the
> driver is assigned IRQ 11. When I try to use 'ifconfig eth0 IRQ 11' it
> returns 'irq: SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported.'
>
> Relevant data:
>
> FC2
> Netinity 4500R (therefore the smp kernel)
> eth0 is Intel Pro/100 (also tried Fast III 79c975)
> Kernel 2.6 not updated yet
> Motorola surfboard modem. (I use it for windows connection so the
> connection is up.)
>
> I got the card to show as 'Active' the first I tried but couldn't get on
> the net. Since then, it won't activate.
>
> ifconfig shows rx & tx with 3 errors and no drops.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

> No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
> Make My Way  your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

>From the terminal try (as root)
[root at localhost ~]# lspci -v

This should show what the card is actually using.
The Pro/100 is a pci card and should not need any int settings.

Also execute;
[root at localhost ~]# ifconfig -a

There should be an IP address for the NIC.

( Comcast uses DHCP servers and the card must be configured to use DHCP
-- I also have Comcast-- );

That's the problem. It can't obtain an IP address. It's set up to use DHCP.