apache problem with soft link

Michael D. Berger m.d.berger at ieee.org
Thu Jan 26 00:15:21 UTC 2006

> Andy Green wrote:
>
> > Hm I reread the thread (ahem.. a bit more properly) and it
> seems your
> > files are delivered fine by the server and the problem is
> indeed clientside.
>
> Also: wget the two files in question on to a Linux / ext3
> filesystem box
> and use md5sum to compare what you got with what you had.  If
> wget works
> it looks like a browser issue.
>
> -Andy

Following your suggestion, I ran wget from another Linux box.
Rather than md5sum, I simply used diff, after an sftp transfer.
The results is that the file is received and is identical with
the original for all link names.

Still, with the same test structure, on Win2k with IE, all updated
a few weeks ago:

   Link name ad_land_small_1 fails.
   Link name ae_land_small_1 works.

It does look like a clientside issue. It clearly is not a case
issue. For what its worth, I note that:

   "ad" is the beginning of "advertis...".

Looks like cheap protection to me.

I also have ZoneAlarm and Norton Antivirus.  I brief look at
various configurations did not provide the answer, but I think
it is time to move on to other problems.

Thanks again for your excellent assistance.

Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger at ieee.org