(no subject)

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 02:36:04 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 18:22, Bruce Hyatt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to get connected to the internet through Comcast highspeed and
> I'm having some trouble.
>
> I think the problem is that the ethernet card is assigned IRQ 15 but the
> driver is assigned IRQ 11. When I try to use 'ifconfig eth0 IRQ 11' it
> returns 'irq: SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported.'
>
> Relevant data:
>
> FC2
> Netinity 4500R (therefore the smp kernel)
> eth0 is Intel Pro/100 (also tried Fast III 79c975)
> Kernel 2.6 not updated yet
> Motorola surfboard modem. (I use it for windows connection so the
> connection is up.)
>
> I got the card to show as 'Active' the first I tried but couldn't get on
> the net. Since then, it won't activate.
>
> ifconfig shows rx & tx with 3 errors and no drops.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruce

> No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.
> Make My Way  your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com
Comcast resets the modem after about 2 minutes (give them 5) of down time
(unplug it). After this time they will reissue to the modem. I.E. if you
change MAC addresses (NIC cards) they will not give you an address.

Also be sure that your firewall allows the transaction with the DHCP server.
[root at localhost src]# iptables -vnL
Chain INPUT (policy DROP 0 packets, 0 bytes)
    0     0 ACCEPT     udp  --  *      *   192.168.0.1   0.0.0.0/0  udp spt:53