Install to external USB?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jan 26 04:40:31 UTC 2006

Claude Jones wrote:

>On Tuesday 24 January 2006 2:25 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
>

>>I've got a couple of flavors of Linux running on an external USB drive on
>>my laptop. Both installed without major issues. I'd like to get rid of one
>>and replace it with FC5t2, but, the installer doesn't give me the option of
>>installing to the USB drive - it only sees the internal HD. I've tried
>>searching the list, but the only references to installing to external USB
>>HD's are very old. Can this be done? How can I get the installer to see
>>SDA1? I do see a reference in the early boot from CD process, to installing
>>USB devices and drivers, but no external USB drive is offered in the
>>install page.
>>

>Sorry - wrong list....

I believe you need to type 'linux expert' at the boot prompt. For
Fedora, you need to add usb related modules within your initrd image for
it to work.
Why installing to a usb drive is not possible in a simple manner is not
clear to me.

Which distributions are you booting successfully from a usb drive? I
might give them a try.

Jim

--
It is illegal to say "Oh, Boy" in Jonesboro, Georgia.