Corruption with RPMs/unable to reslove dependencies for -actually installed- software

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Jan 26 07:37:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 20:28 -0500, Ferindo Middleton Jr wrote:
> I just downloaded FC4 and I had to go back and install some packages I
> chose not to during the installation.
>
> However, it seems that the RPM database is corrupted or not jiving well
> or something because when I use the Desktop > System Settings >
> Add/Remove Applications to install some of the bundled packages with
> FC4, I get a message saying that RPM "Packages Not Found" but if I try
> to 'yum install <package-name>' yum says "Nothing to do" and if I 'rpm
> -q <package-name>' RPM returns the 'package-and-version'... So why does
> RPM say it can't find the package when resolving the dependency to  the
> package.
>
> I've tried rpm --rebuilddb but that doesn't seem to fix the issue
>
> Any ides for how to fix this?

I suspect that there's actually nothing wrong here, apart from the
"Add/Remove Applications" tool being broken after updates have been
applied.

"rpm -q" and "yum" both agree that the package you're after is already
installed.

If you're having problems installing some specific package, show the
output you get when trying to install it using yum.

Paul.