reading a 32-fat HD with fedora

Alessandro Brezzi alessandro.brezzi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:30:04 UTC 2006

2006/1/26, umberto rossi <umbertorossi_000 at fastwebnet.it>:

> Il mer, 2006-01-25 alle 22:09, Les Mikesell ha scritto:
>
> Ok, sorry if I ask foolish questions, but I am totally ignorant about
> the Linux/Fedora environment.
>
> 1. How do I run the command fdisk? I can't find a command line here,
> Fedora runs a windows interface...

open an xterm or switch to a text console (ALT+CTRL+1 or 2 ... 6); become
root with "su -" (the - is for have the std env of root, like PATH ...) and
then follow the instruction.
Experiment a while with bash, expecially the history feature (with CTRL+r to
find an already executed command in the history), with the completion (tab
to complete command you just forgot or file name or directory ...)

2. same ith the mount command

> 3. I found the fstab file in the etc folder, but how do I edit it? Is
> there a specific program for that?

Personally I use vim (VI Improved) but you can use a std X11 editor. Please,
read carefully the man page for the /etc/fstab If you append some wrong
entry, chance the system don't boot

> I'd expect this to be found automatically and show up on the
> > desktop. Try unplugging and hotplugging to see if it is
> > recognized then.  If not, do a 'dmesg' and look towards the
> > end of the listing for a /dev/sdxx device to show up.  That
> > can be mounted in the same way as the /dev/hdxx.  The
> > fat format has some limitations.  If you only plan to use the
> > drive with Linux you might want to 'mkfs -t ext3' the
> > partition (warning - that will destroy the current contents).
>
> If by hotplugging you mean plugging in when the machine is already on
> and the OS running, well it doesn't work. As for the other way to do it,
> Ok, I might try but - same as before - where do I issue a dmesg command
> and/or the mkfs command (the external HD is empty, so at least that is
> not a problem)?

same as above. in an xterm or in a text console, as normal user "dmesg"
If you become root ("su -") you can also use "less /var/log/messages" and
even start a "tail -f /var/log/messages" then hot plug the device and see
directly what happen

> Sorry for bothering you, but my computer user life so far has been spent
> only on DOS, OS/2 and Windows.
>
> ur

HTH
--