OT: Indexing and searching logs

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 20:20:49 UTC 2006

Robert Bell <robert at thebellfamily.com> wrote:        There was an ad on Sourceforge a little while ago advertising a index/search engine for various types of logs residing on different machines. I can not remember the name of it. Does anyone remember? Has anyone used it?
 Are the logs on your own network, and do they represent running conditions which, when certain conditions are met, the results are emailed to the central server? Big Brother does that, checks running logs, looks for conditions and emails updates to the server app which updates a webpage, which you have only to visually browse and look for the flashing icons that mean that particular networked machine needs attention.

You can view the log from remote, if the machine is still running enough to allow that. If it isn't, Big Brother goes into Defcon level V, which you can set to flash lights, play wav files, notify your pager, all kinds of nifty things that you could do from command line, it'll do for you. Great little program, the author is a very good person to deal with, and it very simply provides a great deal of information about your network, at a glance. It doesn't get any better than that for free. Northern Railroad used it and Texas Tech. If this is what you need, I hope this helped. Ric

   ...the Sin of Ignorance, and
   ...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256
Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/