OT: router?

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 20:56:34 UTC 2006

azeem ahmad wrote:

>> From: Neil Cherry <ncherry at comcast.net>
>> azeem ahmad wrote:

> i dont need a gigabit, rather i want 100Mbps.

The WRT has 10/100 Mbps interfaces, the Cisco routers up to
the 2811 have 10/100 interfaces. If you need to have 6 or 7
different interfaces you won't find that on a consumer grade
router (the WRT).

>>Technically there is no such thing though Cisco seems to be one
>> of the closest to approach that. I think I know what you mean
>> though (not a PC).

> Mr Neil Cherry do u mean that there isnt any such hardware that enable
> ip_forwarding between those networks.

My apology for bringing up this subject, sometimes I am too
picky for my own good.

Correct there is always software involved hence no such thing as
a hardware router. It's a minor quibble, some Cisco routers have
hardware (ASICs) that accelerates routing. I would expect this to
be true in any of the larger router platforms from any vendor.

One more thing, firmware is just software in a chip. I don't
consider that strictly hardware.

I guess my quibble is really for naught as there is also no
such things as a strict software router since there must be
hardware to support it. Maybe it's best to define this as
a dedicated router (a Cisco router) vs a non-dedicated router
( a PC with router software).

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site