New drive already has vfat after new fdisk

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Jan 26 22:21:54 UTC 2006

Nat Gross wrote:

> So, now the question is. Since this is some kind of auto thingamajig,
> can I still mount these partitions anywhere, say in /opt or
> /usr/share, whatever?
> Btw, I used ext2 on the 1, ext3 on 2 and 3. But fstab lists all as ext3.

They are the same animal hardlinked...

$ ll /sbin/mkfs.ext3 -i
4943338 -rwxr-xr-x  3 root root 38752 Sep  8 17:38 /sbin/mkfs.ext3
$ ll /sbin/mkfs.ext2 -i
4943338 -rwxr-xr-x  3 root root 38752 Sep  8 17:38 /sbin/mkfs.ext2

Not sure about controlling the automount point.  If you are okay maybe
losing the automount action, you can just edit /etc/fstab and remove the
"managed" token, and adjust the mountpoint away from /media/blah.
There's probably a better way in the newfangled udev and other stuff
that makes this magic work but I know nothing about it.

If you had enough investigations for now, I guess you can make a symlink

ln -s /media/usbdisk /opt

for example and get on with your master plan.

-Andy