reading a 32-fat HD with fedora

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:39:52 UTC 2006

On 1/26/06, umberto rossi <umbertorossi_000 at fastwebnet.it> wrote:

> I did it by rebooting the system and logging in as root. Ok.
>
> Now comes the new problem. The fdisk -l command told me the second hard
> disk is called hdb1 (I mean the part of the HD where the data are). It
> also told me that the external HD is called sda or something like that.
> But when I issue the mount command for the hdb1 I receive a message that
> tells me that the hdb1 device does not exist in the etc/fstab and
> etc/mtab files. The syntax I used is:
>
> mount dev/hdb1 /home/berto/ubik

Make sure you have the leading "/" on directory/device listings.
So your command should be:
mount /dev/hdb1 /home/berto/ubik

Unless you use some other options in the command, your "berto" regular user
most likely won't have much access to that device though. You will only be
able to do stuff with the contents when logged in as root. You don't want to
be logged in as root all the time since mistakes are made even bigger when
you have permissions to do anything to your system all the time.
Do a "man mount" to find out the correct options to use to mount the drive
with berto as the owner.

ubik being a folder I created for the second HD.

> Is there a mistake in my command syntax, or should I directly edit the
> fstab file? I understand doing that ain't that simple, though...

Editing the fstab file is necessary only if you want the drive to be mounted
somewhere at every boot.

I might also copy more accurately what the fdisk command produces, if
> that may help.

Just typing mount by itself gives useful info.

Knowing what version of Fedora and which desktop environment are you using
(Gnome or KDE) would help in giving further advise also as there are some
GUI tools that might help you out.

/Mike