iptraf is so cool, anything like it for disk I/O ?

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Jan 27 03:05:10 UTC 2006

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Andy Green wrote:
>
>> Naoki wrote:
>>

>>> I've been wondering how to get this sort of info out of existing tools
>>> (lsof, top, etc) without success.
>>> I guess all the right kernel hooks are there and nothing is stopping me
>>> writing something?
>>

>> Examine this first:
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7539
>

> This is an interesting article. AIUI, it's useless to spin down
> the disc anyway. The graph given is an expanded scale. The very best
> it shows is 9.6% increase in lifetime. To put it another way,
> only 18 minutes.

Plus, if the disk spins down every 10 minutes it will exceed the
typical rating of 50,000 start/stop cycles after about 1 year of
operating time.  That would be a life of about 3 years if the
machine were used 8 hours a day, so maybe it's not too bad.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.