pxeboot windows xp clients from fedora

Skunk Worx skunkworx at verizon.net
Fri Jan 27 04:35:06 UTC 2006

Justin Willmert wrote:
> Rudolf Kastl wrote:
>
>> 2006/1/26, Skunk Worx <skunkworx at verizon.net>:
>>

>>> is it possible to pxeboot a running windows xp image (not an
>>> installation image) with pxeboot and linux/fedora?
>>>

>>> TIA,
>>> SW
>>>

>> i am pretty sure that cant work (i have not much clue about windows
>> though).
>>
>> try putting a windows xp installed hd from one pc to another...
>> chances are big that it doesent work properly... if not even that
>> works... how would a network boot work?
>>
>> just some thoughts...
>>
>> regards,
>> rudolf kastl
>>

> My school has the media center setup with all diskless network boot
> clients. It works pretty slick, but I don't know how they do it. Sorry
> that I can't help with specifics, but it goes to show that Windows boots
> are possible.
>
> Justin Willmert

i saw a windows2k3 advanced server do ten XP clients the other day, but
it (and some of the clients) kept crashing. they had 10 clients
booting--they want to do 50. i know they are using a single XP disk
image on the server but i haven't had a chance to snag a copy of the
image yet. if i get it pxe booting with a fedora server (probably more
reliable) i'll post again for completion.

thanks,
SW