iptraf is so cool, anything like it for disk I/O ?

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Fri Jan 27 08:09:59 UTC 2006

> >> I've been wondering how to get this sort of info out of existing tools
> >> (lsof, top, etc) without success.
>
> iostat which is part of the sysstat package is highly useful in this
> context...

Yes, iostats is useful, and has been around since the dawn of time but
I'm after something a little more intuitive, iostat can't handle a PID
as an argument.

For example :

NAME                  PID                    BLOCKS/W            BLOCKS/R      KB/s    FD    "FILE NAME"          DEVICE
httpd                 4836			45		    1          53     13   /var/log/httpd/xxx    /dev/hda2

And so on..

Diagnosing disk IO problems would be far easier if one had a tool that
could give "at a glace" detail into what is doing what and where..
iostat shows you what disk, or which partition is busy, but not what PID
is doing the io. So one must go back to lsof and get a list of open
handles on that partition or device and guess which one is pushing the
ops/blocks.