sharing fc3 swap space with Centos

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jan 27 08:52:53 UTC 2006

Ankush Grover wrote:

>  I have FC3 installed on a machine.Now I want to dual boot fc3 with
> Centos on that machine ,how do I share the swap space of fc3 with Centos

Fix up the centos

/etc/fstab

to contain the partition you use for swap, eg (change /dev/sda3 to match
your real swap partition),

/dev/sda3 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

If you use LVM, ensure that the LVM path to your swap matches CentOS's
idea of the LVM path to your swap partition.

> and also can i share more partitions like opt with Centos. On FC3 the
> size of /opt is 7 GB as i have installed few 3rd party softwares and I
> want to use those softwares in Centos without again installing those
> softwares.

If you implemented opt as its own partition, do the same as above.

If not, you can mount your FC3 filesystem from inside CentOS, and use a
symlink from the opt in there to /opt in the CentOS root filesystem.

-Andy